In his to-the-point style, Craig Newmark responds to the lawsuit of Craigslist that’s come out of Chicago:
- craigslist and craigslist users have an exemplary record for abiding by fair housing law, and promoting equal opportunity housing for everyone
- we’re being sued for an extremely small number of postings by a few of our users, in many cases for phrases like “near a church” or “there’s a kosher deli around the corner”
- the number of actual discriminatory ads is honestly like one or two out of every 100,000 — what publication has a better record than that?
- we make it really easy for the community to help us out by removing such ads, and housing advocates normally really like our system
- we exercise NO EDITORIAL CONTROL over listings…